Search This Blog

Translate

Monday, January 07, 2019

I with UESI (SSEU 2010-2012)


(Note: I wrote this piece of article in 2013, and does not contain my present assessment of SSEU. Btw, SSEU has become SSICEU now!)

Why I join
I started to fall in love with Bible in 2005, and the word of God transformed me radically no sooner. God gave me a gift of faith to trust His word even when I was just a child. I always believe Bible to be inerrant and infallible, therefore has supreme authority over my life.
In 2010, I came to Shillong for my college education. There I was introduced to Shillong South Evangelical Union, a unit of UESI. I started attending SSEU Meetings regularly because I identified myself with the movement, ‘UESI is Bible Believing.’ I found myself so satisfied to read the third Doctrinal statement of UESI, that says, “The divine inspiration and infallibility of Holy Scripture (by which we mean the sixty-six books of the Bible) as originally given, and its supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct.
How I join
However, as time went by, I realized after reading the Manual book of UESI, “Witnesses for Me” that most of the members who attended SSEU has lost its vision. After deep thought, I decided never to attend its meeting again. I had been attending over 5 Christian fellowships (one after another) on every Sunday. I had to skip breakfast and lunch the whole day - right from dawn until night. It was so exhausting but I was so desperate to grow exponentially in my Christian life. I thought to skip the SSEU program from then on.
However, before I could ever miss the next EU meeting, the then Secretary of SSEU surprisingly approached me to take up the leadership as a Committee Member. I was startled then accepted willingly, having in mind to let SSEU what it supposed to be. That was how I joined UESI in 2010. For the next 2 years, I have strived and devoted to let my EU function in the Vision and Mission of UESI. We took out a few things and introduced a few things to be what we have been claiming to be.

What UESI (at least our SSEU was) is (from UESI Manual Book)
Evangelical Union is a fellowship of Born Again Students, who are Bible- believing and accept the authority of the Bible for their faith and conduct. Its aim is to make Jesus known to fellow students (post-matric students in India), nurture them as disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ, that they may serve the Church and Society.” The life of EU members is expected to exhibit core values such as Quiet Time, Personal Evangelism, Fellowship, Life of Faith, Prayerful, Discipling, Giving, Leadership, Study of the Word and Centrality of Scriptures.
"UESI has Three Relevant Principles: That we are called to be witnesses, that we are called to preserve and defend the truth, that we are commanded to avoid those who teach doctrine contrary to apostolic teaching." It has 10 Doctrinal Statements. Unless there is agreement on the fundamentals of the faith as outlined in the UESI doctrinal statement, there cannot be organizational co-operation.
UESI is an Evangelical, who believes salvation is through faith alone by grace alone in Christ alone. It strives not to engage in unprofitable, negative criticism of those who differ from them. They rejoice in the witness of every college student truly born again by the spirit of God and desire that the love of God may characterize all relationships with other members of the family of God.
UESI has four aims: Evangelism, Fellowship, Testimony, and Mission. The first three aims of EU are on the campuses, the fourth ‘Mission’ is outside the campus. Mission and Evangelism are the fruits of Fellowship and Testimony. So, Fellowshipping is the backbone of the aims. Fellowshipping is done by two means: Bible study and Prayer. In short, UESI is all about Bible Study and Prayer.
"We, however, live in the world though not of the world and therefore must seek and strive to maintain the Principle of a Student with faithfulness to the call of God. Mark 12:17 says, “Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God.” Since we are created in the image of God, we belong to God and must live accordingly."
How I left
I was with SSEU as Secretary of the unit with interesting experiences. Organizing camps, raising funds, leading Bible studies and prayer groups, outreaching to various hostels, preaching, mentoring, visiting EGF homes, outing, participation in meetings and training programs, planting cell groups in hostel and college, evangelism and fellowship were some of the joyful experiences. I graduated from St. Anthony’s College in 2013, and it was a high time for me to leave SSEU and Shillong. I read out this poem on the farewell day as a valedictory message.

My time is getting over soon
I must go back to the land I belong
Have I been a bane or a boon,
Throughout my stay in Shillong?
One thing I desire is to kindle fire-
In your heart to love God more
May this be your heart's pleasure
To glorify God as never as before

I have lived and spoken diligently
Which I want you to do the same
May you too be in SSEU faithfully,
Without looking for a name or fame!
I have learned never to mind
Though sometimes, it really hurts
I have won some people's mind
May you win their souls and hearts!