Search This Blog

Translate

Saturday, April 16, 2022

Bible Reading Reflection from 1 Samuel 21-26

[Originally posted in a WhatsApp group (SSEU), a reading update (reflection) from one chapter of the Bible a day] 

πŸ™ π•Šπ”Έπ•„π•Œπ”Όπ•ƒ πŸšπŸ™:πŸ™πŸ›

"So he disguised his sanity before them, and acted insanely in their hands, and scribbled on the doors of the gate, and let his saliva run down into his beard."

Positively:

1. David never thought highly of himself; he didn't mind being treated as a fool.

2. David would do anything to survive; some people loved their honor and would die.

3. David didn't revolt against the anointed king.

Negatively:

1. David lacked trust in God, for which he would confess and repent later on.

Well, If I were David, I can't think of a better way than what he did. He was sinful, but in this episode, I might even be more sinful than him. Whether we like it or hate it, whether we can do better or worse, sin is sin!

Peter denied Christ when he feared the guards. Peter sank when he feared the waves. Abraham abandoned his wife Sarah when he feared Abimelech, so was Isaac. There's sin in fear! May we be people of courage!

 

πŸ™ π•Šπ”Έπ•„π•Œπ”Όπ•ƒ 𝟚𝟚:πŸ™πŸ 

"Then the king said to Doeg, "You turn around and attack the priests." And Doeg the Edomite turned around and attacked the priests, and he killed that day eighty-five men who wore the linen ephod."

Saul dared to kill the priests of God. He massacred 85 people. Last time, Samuel mentioned that Saul could kill him. This Saul is a blood-monger.

Not surprising that people are attacking churches and preachers. How many churches, even in the civilized west, Canada are burnt down this year? No surprise if persecution, allegation, lynching come up anytime anywhere!

The priest Ahimelech stood his ground, even when all his households were at stake. How many will give up the Gospel if they [persecutors] threaten to kill their children?

The 2016 movie, The Silence portrayed such scene. A priest was asked to deny Christ or be dead. That was easy for him. But when the persecutors threatened to torture and started to torture his people, he apostatized.

Ahimelech stood his ground and all his family members up to 85 people were killed! Just for David that also! Hmmm! Some things are worth suffering and sacrificing, and dying for. Top among them is the Gospel! Oh! May I be found willing and ready when the time comes!

 

πŸ™ π•Šπ”Έπ•„π•Œπ”Όπ•ƒ πŸšπŸ›:πŸ™πŸ™

"’Will the men of Keilah surrender me into his hand? Will Saul come down just as Your servant has heard? O LORD God of Israel, I pray, tell Your servant.’ And the LORD said, ‘He will come down.’"

I still remember myself getting so fascinated with this story even when I was a young boy reading my Bible. I had never heard it from anyone, but I read and understood. Till today, I have never heard anyone preach a sermon from this passage, nor have I read any exposition from anywhere. Well, it's a testimony that God's word is alive and powerful that even a young boy could understand by himself!

People say Bible is boring to read because they don't understand. Well, I don't understand why people say that. Sure, there are many things I can't make sense of when I am in my daily reading, but I almost always see something striking. How could Bible be boring!!!

All this to say: read your Bible regularly. All your excuses are funny and shall not vindicate you when you stand before its author. Having said that:

David earnestly inquired God [always] in this episode. Mentioned at least 4 times. God answered all of them; David didn't like anyone of them! πŸ˜‚

God commissioned him to fight for Keilah. He did, but he wasn't allowed to enjoy the victory. Even the people of Keilah would deliver him to be executed. And Saul was still doing everything to kill David, even when he has driven away from their mutual enemies, Philistines.

God's ways are mysterious, which WhatsApp post has no time and space to reflect upon more!

 

πŸ™ π•Šπ”Έπ•„π•Œπ”Όπ•ƒ 𝟚𝟜:𝟠

"Afterward David also arose and went out of the cave, and called after Saul, "My lord the king!" And when Saul looked behind him, David bowed with his face to the earth and paid homage."

What a list of contrast in this account of Saul and David.

And David would humble himself before such man, and even debased himself to a dog, oh dead dog, and to a flea (v14). Of course, he was talking about the harmlessness as doves. But why not choose a dove over a dead dog?

I struggle to respect a wicked man. I struggle to respect a foolish person. I struggle to respect an incompetent person. Oh! I can go on, but let me not disclose much of my vulnerability. 😢

It's something to learn from David. I was just listening to John Piper today, and he defined humility in this way "looking at other people and regarding them, whether they are or not, as worthy of your service." Wow! He got that from Phil2:3-4.

Well, David is that man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mR_U9rVwEc&t=496s

 

πŸ™ π•Šπ”Έπ•„π•Œπ”Όπ•ƒ 𝟚𝟝: πŸ›πŸš-πŸ›πŸ›

"And David said to Abigail, ‘Blessed be the LORD, the God of Israel, who sent you this day to meet me! Blessed be your discretion, and blessed be you, who have kept me this day from bloodguilt and from working salvation with my own hand!’"

I don't like this story, but I like the demonstration of how God protected a man of God from committing sins. My years are few, but I have seen the protection of God in my life many times!

Last night I was listening to Sinclair Ferguson. He said that you will not be able to tell a difference between Peter and Judas on the night Jesus was betrayed and denied by them. It's the intercession of Jesus that leads Peter to repentance.

Spiritual victory, standing firm, spiritual discipline, repentance are the blessings of God. David Brainerd wrote in his journal many times that one of his struggles of sins is spiritual pride!

David must have been convicted heavily and deeply impressed by the approach of Abigail, he ended up marrying her! It's God who lives our spiritual life. It's we who live the life of the flesh (Galatians 2:20).

Even all these regular WhatsApp Posts!

 

πŸ™ π•Šπ”Έπ•„π•Œπ”Όπ•ƒ 𝟚𝟞:𝟚𝟜

"Behold, as your life was precious this day in my sight, so may my life be precious in the sight of the LORD, and may he deliver me out of all tribulation."

No wonder Jesus taught His disciples to pray, "Forgive us as we forgive others."

If David could be that merciful to a man like Saul, He knows God is better than him. There are times when we swallow our anger, hold our peace, maintain our composure; remember, God sees those and will reward you. If you being evil can do that, why won't the righteous Father do much more? (Matt. 7:11)

For every good deed we do, for every wrong thing we avoid, big or small, God sees it. May we at least learn to say like David!

If there's one thing we need to learn from David, it is how to pray. Look at how many Psalms he wrote! Let's practice praying like that. But to pray like that, we've got to do those acts of mercy, grace, goodness, etc.