Search This Blog

Translate

Thursday, May 21, 2020

A Eulogy To Ravi Zacharias – by Suanlal

[This is a eulogy to Ravi Zacharias written by one of my friends, Suanlal. He is a voracious reader, reading a wide range of books of different genres. You can reach him through Facebook here.]
Suanlal with Ravi-ji, Delhi

“God buries His workmen, but carries on His work.” —Charles Wesley.
March 2016 @ Delhi, I met you, Uncle Ravi. You were so humble to respond to my question, a man who came from a small unknown town. That moment, as I look back I truly understand what you often said, “behind every question is a questioner.” My tryst with you started somewhere around 2012/13. I was a new believer then who had silly questions concerning the Christian Faith. You demonstrate Christianity is intellectually plausible and existentially satisfying and relevant. In other words, you make me understand Why the Mind Matters in Christianity and the role of reason in spiritual transformation.
BACK THEN, to be honest, I didn't always understand what you said or wrote. Your vocabulary was way beyond my comprehension. It has been a journey to coming to know you. I still remember me looking forward to every Friday for your radio program "Let My People Think." I still remember listening to your testimony "Faith Under Fire" in my hostel room and weeping! You will continue to minister to my heart. Uncle Ravi, I will miss your distinct voice. There is something that ticks with it. You have a way of touching the nerve center of life. You left a large void in my heart. Tremendous loss. I am still processing the weight of this loss.
Thank you, Ravi, for your influence on my formative Christian life. It was you who introduced me to the field of Apologetics. My life has never been the same knowing you. I am reminded of what Isaac Newton have said centuries ago "If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants."
Now that, You have met the one who speaks to you in your suicide death-bed “Because I live, you will live also,” you will have all your questions answered personally and hear the word “Well done, good and faithful slave!” Oh, what a thought!
Ravi is a convincing proof of the Gospel power to transform lives. Reflecting on how God’s grace is beyond description over his family, Ravi concluded, “He lifted all of us over the walls of our own imprisonment.” The same God can free you from your bondage too. Friends, we should remember Ravi Zacharias, and in remembering him, remember Jesus Christ, the Savior and Lord he loved and served so faithfully.
“Apologetics is seen before it is heard,” says Ravi. This is one of the many sayings of Ravi that keeps tugging in my heart that I will never forget in my Christian Walk. Coming from a not so good background, I could only cherish what I have heard from him saying, “Jesus Christ does not only change what you do, he changes what you want to do,” which is personally evident in my life.
I would like to end with one of his most inspirational lines that I came across from one of his books, Jesus Among Other Gods: “From then on, my longings, my hopes, my dreams, and my every effort has been
to live for Him who rescued me,
to study for Him who gave me this mind,
to serve Him who fashioned my will,
and to speak for Him who gave me a voice.” – Ravi Zacharias.
#ThankYouRavi
Written by Suanlal Zou


You can also read my eulogy to Ravi Zacharias HERE