Search This Blog

Translate

Saturday, April 15, 2023

Short Reflection from Job 1-12

[Originally posted in a WhatsApp group (DRU) as a daily reading update (reflection) from each chapter of the Bible]

[2:42 pm, 01/01/2022] S.R: 𝕁𝕠𝕓 𝟙:𝟚𝟙

"He said, 'Naked I came from my mother's womb, And naked I shall return there. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away. Blessed be the name of the LORD.'"

The first chapter of the first written book of the Bible deals with the most common experience of all people: suffering. Well, Job chose to bless God!

We have two choices in suffering: to bless God or to curse God.

Bless the Lord, O, my soul! 🎶

 

𝕁𝕠𝕓 𝟚:𝟙𝟚

"When they lifted up their eyes at a distance and did not recognize him, they raised their voices and wept. And each of them tore his robe and they threw dust over their heads toward the sky."

Job's three friends have become a proverb to ridicule useless friends. However, they were very good in the beginning. I don't mean to suggest they became bad. Rather, I would like to say that most probably they are as good as any good people around us. If we live in their times, probably we would be reacting like them.

My takeaway from this verse and this story is, at least let's imitate these 3 friends in their good conduct! 👍🙏

 

𝕁𝕠𝕓 𝟛:𝟙

"Afterward Job opened his mouth and cursed the day of his birth."

Job would rather curse anything related to him than curse God.

I have an old friend who had been to great trouble and sorrow, when I inquired about his day-to-day life, he said, "I have no complaints, only gratefulness to His grace upon grace"

By, the mercies of God, I have learned to say like that oftentimes! O, why would I curse my God who has never erred me!? I stand with Polycarp and the psalmist to bless the Lord!

 

𝕁𝕠𝕓 𝟜:𝟜

"Your 𝕨𝕠𝕣𝕕𝕤 have helped the tottering to stand, And you have strengthened feeble knees."

This was spoken of Job by his friend (who had also become his accuser).

Let people say of me as it was said of Job. I have not much money, nor much strength to help the weak, feeble, and poor, but I have the word of God (the wisdom of God) to help them.

Job was a rich, powerful, and influential man, but he was known for his "words"

Wow! Every one of us in this group can be known for that as well because we read to know God's word! 😇

 

𝕁𝕠𝕓 𝟝:𝟙𝟟

"Behold, how happy is the man whom God reproves, So do not despise the discipline of the Almighty."

This is a true statement but unfortunately was irrelevant to Job because Job wasn't disciplined by God for any of his sins.

However, I think, we would be almost always right when we use this verse among us! 🙂

 

𝕁𝕠𝕓 𝟞:𝟚𝟜

"Teach me, and I will be silent; And show me how I have erred."

Would we be like Job who doesn't have anything shameful to hide, but asked to be examined to be better?

Our Lord Jesus went further. He dared his haters to convict Him of any sins!

David experienced the joy of salvation, the joy of life, the goodness of God when he let God examine him!

 

𝕁𝕠𝕓 𝟟:𝟙𝟞

"I waste away; I will not live forever. Leave me alone, for my days are but a breath."

Job was in pain, left alone by God, wife, friends, and all!

Actually, life no matter what it is, is short and has been wasted when it is not enjoying God.

There were times, like Job, when I felt I was being left to waste my time, energy, and life, and wanted God to leave me alone as He does with others! Not to live independently of God, but to be not examined deeply, for who can stand His examination?

 

𝕁𝕠𝕓 𝟠:𝟛

"Does God pervert justice? Or does the Almighty pervert what is right?"

These questions are framed in such a way that the answer is an absolute "No!" It's not a question of doubt. It's a question of affirmation! All questionings in trials and temptations aren't bad.

 

𝕁𝕠𝕓 𝟡:𝟛𝟘-𝟛𝟙

"If I should wash myself with snow And cleanse my hands with lye, Yet You would plunge me into the pit, And my own clothes would abhor me."

Indeed, no matter how we strive to be holy, there's still indwelling sin in us. Still, God calls us to be obsessed with holiness. John Owen said that if the indwelling sin is not your greatest burden in life, you aren't a Christian!

 

𝕁𝕠𝕓 𝟙𝟘:𝟙𝟝

"If I am wicked, woe to me! And if I am righteous, I dare not lift up my head. I am sated with disgrace and conscious of my misery."

This was the word of Job in despair, but it's true. We dare not face the holy God without the person of Christ, our mediator!

 

𝕁𝕠𝕓 𝟙𝟙:𝟙𝟟

"Your life would be brighter than noonday; Darkness would be like the morning."

It wasn't for Job. These words were so empty, so untrue to Job.

But no matter what, he chose to trust God!

Let's not read Bible only to find the motivation to live on. It may not mean what we think it means! But like Job, whether we understand it or not, like it or not, we keep going on...

 

𝕁𝕠𝕓 𝟙𝟚:𝟛

"But I have intelligence as well as you; I am not inferior to you. And who does not know such things as these?"

Indeed, I know godly people who do not speak like the world though they are very intelligent and even more intelligent than those worldly guys who flaunt their intelligence.

As Isaiah and Paul said, "Let him who boasts boast that he knows the Lord." Job knew God not just in word, he experienced the awesomeness of God through his deep suffering!