Search This Blog

Translate

Wednesday, May 03, 2023

Short Reflection from Psalms 73-89

[Originally posted in a WhatsApp group (AG) as a daily reading update (reflection) from each chapter of the Bible]

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟟𝟛:𝟙-𝟚, 𝟚𝟠

"Surely God is good to Israel, To those who are pure in heart! But as for me, my feet came close to stumbling, My steps had almost slipped."

Psalm 73 has become one of my favorite Psalms in the Bible. It's about the goodness of God that actually looks like the badness of God. 😃

The Psalmist knew that God is good but to him, God seemed so mean and cruel. I had those feelings many times over the years. This psalm narrated how those feelings came over him and how he overcame them. He also discovered the goodness of God in a far better and deeper way in v28, which is also the conclusion of this Psalm.

"But as for me, the nearness of God is my good; I have made the Lord GOD my refuge, That I may tell of all Your works."

It begins and ends with the theme of the goodness of God.

God, helping you get through the exam, get a job, a career, answering your prayers, prospering you will indeed make us feel that God is good. But the goodness of God is much more than all these things. In fact, even without all these things, we can still experience the goodness of God.

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟟𝟜:𝟙

"O God, why have You rejected us forever? Why does Your anger smoke against the sheep of Your pasture?"

Who has not felt the rejection of God? They say, "The world, your friends, your family members will disappoint you but Jesus will not disappoint you."

Nah! The psalmist and saints of the past had been into a lot of troubles and disappointments. But in the words of apostle Paul, "but not like those without hope" because we know we are His sheep of His pasture.

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟟𝟝:𝟟

"But God is the Judge; He puts down one and exalts another."

Let's learn to stay calm and happy because of who God is.

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟟𝟞:𝟟

"You, even You, are to be feared; And who may stand in Your presence when once You are angry?"

It’s not safe to make anyone angry. Even kids when they are made angry react dangerously.

I am terrified when I let my loved one get angry, annoyed, or upset.

But who can face an angry God of the universe?

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟟𝟟:𝟛

"When I remember God, then I am disturbed; When I sigh, then my spirit grows faint. Selah."

Have you ever encountered such situation? I think so! It's in the Bible too.

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟟𝟠:𝟞-𝟟

"That the generation to come might know, even the children yet to be born, That they may arise and tell them to their children, That they should put their confidence in God And not forget the works of God, But keep His commandments,"

Responsibility for teaching future generations about the greatness of God! That's more important and basic than getting a matric certificate.

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟟𝟡:𝟙𝟛

"So we Your people and the sheep of Your pasture Will give thanks to You forever; To all generations we will tell of Your praise."

What a God-centred prayer! Asking God for His name's sake and His glory!

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟠𝟘:𝟜

"O LORD God of hosts, How long will You be angry with the prayer of Your people?"

Have you ever failed like your prayers are in vain? This psalm should encourage us that such trials happen in the life of a saint of God.

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟠𝟙:𝟙𝟙-𝟙𝟚

"But My people did not listen to My voice, And Israel did not obey Me. "So I gave them over to the stubbornness of their heart, To walk in their own devices."

Disobedience leads to stubbornness to damnation.

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟠𝟚:𝟙

"God takes His stand in His own congregation; He judges in the midst of the rulers."

Since God is the ultimate Judge it's good to commit everything to God.

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟠𝟛:𝟙𝟛

"O my God, make them like the whirling dust, Like chaff before the wind."

A verse to remember when wicked schemes/plans/ people are coming up.

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟠𝟜:𝟙𝟙

"For the LORD God is a sun and shield; The LORD gives grace and glory; No good thing does He withhold from those who walk uprightly."

The goodness of God towards His people. Now, I have got to believe.

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟠𝟝:𝟙𝟚

"Indeed, the LORD will give what is good, And our land will yield its produce."

I know God is good but used to wonder whether God has been good enough to me. "Enough" for me is God granting me whatever my heart sincerely craves.

Psalms 73 and 84 and even this v12 have lifted me up from the pit of doubt — God has been good to me. And He shall only give what is only good.

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟠𝟞:𝟝, 𝟙𝟟

"For You, Lord, are good, and ready to forgive, And abundant in lovingkindness to all who call upon You."

"Show me a sign for good, That those who hate me may see it and be ashamed, Because You, O LORD, have helped me and comforted me."

Our prayers reflect our beliefs. Who does not want to see the goodness of God in his life? It is to believe God is good and whatever He does is good and for our own good.

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟠𝟟:𝟚

"The LORD loves the gates of Zion More than all the other dwelling places of Jacob."

God's love expressed in human terminology. Even Apostle John introduced himself as the disciple whom Jesus loved as if he was most favored by Christ. The fact is we all should feel like that. That I am most beloved by God.

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟠𝟠:𝟙

"O LORD, the God of my salvation, I have cried out by day and in the night before You."

The Scripture has given us enough examples of unceasing prayer. Not to give up. To trust God in the midst of trials and sufferings. Yes, even when help is out of sight.

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟠𝟡:𝟛𝟛

"But I will not break off My lovingkindness from him, Nor deal falsely in My faithfulness."

The Faithfulness of God and the Lovingkindness of God is greater than any sin I can ever commit or think of. Not a license to live carelessly but to live confidently.