Search This Blog

Translate

Friday, November 17, 2023

Short Reflection from Psalm 119 [22 Hebrews Alphabets]

[Originally posted in a WhatsApp group (PG) as a daily reading update (reflection) from each chapter of the Bible] 

[12:34, 16/09/2022] S. R.:

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟙𝟙𝟡:𝟟

"I shall give thanks to You with uprightness of heart, When I learn Your righteous judgments."

Somehow, I have come to believe since when I was much younger that God is right, just, and good in everything He does. I have also come to believe that I ought to bless His name, praise Him, and thank Him. I have also committed to doing them.

How wonderful it is when it is done with a joyful heart! How wonderful it is to do not just in faith but in understanding.

The psalmist is devoted to the word of God so that he may understand and enjoy God. Apostle Paul also said about the importance of understanding in 1 Cor. 14:15

#Faith Understanding

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟙𝟙𝟡:𝟙𝟙

"Your word I have treasured in my heart, That I may not sin against You."

Not just knowing but treasuring the word of God. Valuing it, cherishing it, holding it firmly. That's how to avoid sin, to flee from sin.

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟙𝟙𝟡:𝟚𝟛

"Even though princes sit and talk against me, Your servant meditates on Your statutes."

Meditation on the word of God is a more serious business than even the threat of princes.

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟙𝟙𝟡:𝟚𝟟

"Make me understand the way of Your precepts, So I will meditate on Your wonders."

It's difficult to delight in things one does not understand. It's not easy even to obey God when one doesn't understand why.

The psalmist asked God to let him understand His word so that he may continue to delight in it.

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟙𝟙𝟡:𝟛𝟞-𝟛𝟟

"Incline my heart to Your testimonies And not to dishonest gain. Turn away my eyes from looking at vanity, And revive me in Your ways."

The psalmist asked not just for understanding but for a will to follow God. And he also asked for the ability to do.

Oh! How we ought to pray like the psalmist. Especially to turn away our eyes from vanity, yes, that includes social media, news, YouTube, internet, phone. Many things we do on the phone are vanity.

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟙𝟙𝟡:𝟜𝟛

"And do not take the word of truth utterly out of my mouth, For I wait for Your ordinances."

The Psalmist prays that he will not shy away from the word of God. There were some situations I wonder how to comfort or exhort some people. To quote a Scripture looks like it's superficial, for it seemed like we have been talking a lot about Bible. And I would look for a hilarious meme to break the ice. This verse is my prayer too.

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟙𝟙𝟡:𝟝𝟛

"Burning indignation has seized me because of the wicked, Who forsake Your law."

The psalmist hates those who hate God because he loved God.

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟙𝟙𝟡:𝟞𝟛

"I am a companion of all those who fear You, And of those who keep Your precepts."

Friends influence one another. Therefore, it's right to stay away from a bad companion. However, I do hang out with some people who aren't that good with the hope that I can influence them.

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟙𝟙𝟡:𝟟𝟙-𝟟𝟚

"It is good for me that I was afflicted, That I may learn Your statutes. The law of Your mouth is better to me Than thousands of gold and silver pieces."

Clinging to the word of God even if it leads to suffering because God's word is better.

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟙𝟙𝟡:𝟟𝟜

"May those who fear You see me and be glad, Because I wait for Your word."

This is also my prayer. And I would expect any God-fearing person will be praying the same!

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟙𝟙𝟡:𝟠𝟚

"My eyes fail with longing for Your word, While I say, 'When will You comfort me?'"

No matter the size and pain of one's burden, it's not difficult to understand this confession. We are to live beyond sight, by faith. Where there's faith, there's hope, there's an expectation. It's appropriate to seek comfort from Him!

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟙𝟙𝟡:𝟡𝟚

"If Your law had not been my delight, Then I would have perished in my affliction."

Indeed, there's nothing that comforts the soul more than the word of God. There's even comfort in arguing with God (like Job and Jeremiah) yet trusting him.

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟙𝟙𝟡:𝟙𝟘𝟘

"I understand more than the aged, Because I have observed Your precepts."

A young person should be saturated with the word of God if he would like to command respect from the elders. Hmmm! 🙂

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟙𝟙𝟡:𝟙𝟘𝟝

"Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path."

There's light for those who know the word of God.

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟙𝟙𝟡:𝟙𝟙𝟝

"Depart from me, evildoers, That I may observe the commandments of my God."

We need to cut ties with wicked people to practice righteousness.

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞𝟙𝟙𝟡:𝟙𝟚𝟟

"Therefore I love Your commandments Above gold, yes, above fine gold."

My conscience agrees with me that this is my confession as well!

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟙𝟙𝟡:𝟙𝟛𝟘

"The unfolding of Your words gives light; It gives understanding to the simple."

Scriptures aren't tough for studious hearts. In fact, it's for the simple to gain understanding.

There's no excuse for anyone who doesn't know and doesn't delight in the word of God.

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟙𝟙𝟡:𝟙𝟜𝟛

"Trouble and anguish have come upon me, Yet Your commandments are my delight."

Godly people are proven by their faithfulness towards God in their troubled times, hardly in their prosperity.

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟙𝟙𝟡:𝟙𝟜𝟟-𝟙𝟜𝟠

"I rise before dawn and cry for help; I wait for Your words. My eyes anticipate the night watches, That I may meditate on Your word."

If the godly psalmist had such a longing moment, I am sure it's okay for me to feel the indifference of God sometimes.

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟙𝟙𝟡:𝟙𝟞𝟘

"The sum of Your word is truth, And every one of Your righteous ordinances is everlasting."

Every word of God is inspired and authoritative.

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟙𝟙𝟡:𝟙𝟞𝟝

"Those who love Your law have great peace, And nothing causes them to stumble."

Are we so busy in life that we don't get to read the Bible every day? Well, would be hindering blessings from above.

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟙𝟙𝟡:𝟙𝟟𝟘

"Let my supplication come before You; Deliver me according to Your word."

Godly prayer is more objective and less subjective. It's because of who God is and what God says. Not because of who we are or how we pray.

 

[07:33, 09/10/2022] S. R.: I've not decided what to update next after a series on Psalm 119. Maybe, I will take a break in this group.