Search This Blog

Translate

Sunday, November 13, 2022

Bible Reading Reflection from Luke 1-14

 [Originally posted in a WhatsApp group (JAC) as a daily reading update (reflection) from each chapter of the Bible]

LUKE 1

The longest chapter in the NT. Happy reading 😅

The theme of Luke is found in verses 1-4.

Almost everything recorded in chapter 1 is not found in the other gospels. Very unique.

Btw, the Gospel of Luke and the book of Acts are written by Luke.

 

LUKE 2:52

“And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men.”

4 descriptions of Jesus's growth:

1. Increased in Wisdom, that's intellectual growth

2. Increased in stature, that's physical growth

3. In favor with God, that's spiritual growth

4. In favor with man, that's social/relational growth. 

Intellectually, Physically, Spiritually, and Socially. This is how we, all, must grow up in this world. One of my favorite Bible verses to read out on Birthdays.

 

LUKE 3

Particularly v1-20

Repentance

John's preaching is repentance. He called people to repent v3. Some thought they did not need to repent, John confronted them saying "Brood of Vipers." He dared to confront the politician, Herod and it led him to his own death (v19-20)

Calling to repent is not enough. That's why v.8. One must bear the fruits of repentance. Because one can simply say, "I believe" or "I repent" or "Jesus is my Saviour" or "I'm Christian," one must really demonstrate the fruits of confession and repentance in real life.

What does repentance look like? v11-14.

Gospel preaching without a call to repentance (explicitly or implicitly) is not the complete Gospel!

 

LUKE 4

Particularly v24-27

I would add as well: in the days of Jesus, not everyone was healed from sickness nor cleansed from leprosy.

I would go on to say, not many in our present days too, know or receive the grace of God in their life.

And if we wonder why, because God's miraculous grace (including healing, cleansing, salvation, spiritual fruits) is only for those who believe in God and come to Him in faith with a penitent heart!

Oh! Gracious God! Why would You save a wretch like me! Blessed be Your name!

 

LUKE 5

Particularly v17-26

v19 "And when they could not find how they might bring him in, because of the crowd, they went up on the housetop and let him down with his bed through the tiling into the midst before Jesus."

They never gave up. They did something which most of us will never dream/think of — from the housetop, removing the tiles.

Have I sought God or asked Him anything with this degree of faith and importunity?

 

LUKE 6 particularly v.30-36

What a hard teaching on giving!

1. Give to everyone who asks. [Areh!]

2. And don't ask back! [Kya baat heh!]

3. Fulfill 1 and 2 not only to your friends but to your enemies as well. [Kya baat heh!]

4. Not only in giving, but even in lending, don't expect to get back! [Just wow!]

5. Lend especially to those who will never give you back because they are too poor. [Hmmm!]

God wants Christians to be generous! Especially to the poor. I am not a rich man, in fact, am a very poor man, but there are millions of people who are poorer than me too!

And I know no man nor myself have come to this standard! BTW, if we practice this perfectly, we will die of starvation within a day! 😅 And remember, heaven is not guaranteed for those who practice this. Only faith in Jesus saves us!

 

LUKE 7

v1-10

What a contrast between a godly prayer and an ungodly prayer!

The Jews thought the Centurion deserved a blessing because he did a good job for them (Jews). While the Centurion thought He was totally unworthy even to welcome Christ.

The Centurion asked Jesus in humility and in faith. The Jews put leverage on Christ as if Christ was obligated to heal the Centurion's servant.

Jesus commended his humility, his faith, and healed his servant instantaneously.

Many times, I hear people ordering God to do this and that in their prayer as if God exists to serve them. If I really know who God is and who I am, I will come before him in humility, penitence, and in faith.

 

LUKE 8:40-48

First, the faith of this woman is extraordinary. Second, She didn't run away after the healing. Rather, she came trembling, falling down.

When God asked Adam, he blamed Eve. Eve in turn blamed the serpent.

When nobody sees or knows, it's tempting to hide, as if nothing wrong has been committed! Indeed, it takes courage, honesty, faithfulness to admit wrongdoing or anything!

Well, in my adult life, I have been trying to be very responsible for all my actions and words, but I haven't come even close to the standard I want to be!

 

LUKE 9:12-14

"You give them something to eat."

That's my Jesus. If I were there, I would definitely be "very smart and wise" and say exactly like the 12 disciples. I might even be thinking, "These multitudes deserve to feel hungry because they are so lazy or thoughtless in bringing no food when they set out to come here." My Jesus is gracious, generous, and powerful to provide all for all! 😇🙏

 

LUKE 10:2

"Then He said to them, ‘The harvest truly is great, but the laborers are few; pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest.’"

While I was in Derabassi, Punjab, as I was thinking about missions, I was so encouraged to realize that Jesus had called all Christians to pray for missionaries. It means millions of people across church history have prayed for us. And therefore, missionaries can go with confidence, even because of others' prayer! 👍

Still fascinating to think through! 👍

 

LUKE 11:23

He who is not with Me is against Me, and he who does not gather with Me scatters.

It's a default position to wonder or ask, "Is the Lord with me?" It's another level to ask, "Am I with God?"

Furthermore, there's no middle ground, no middle position. Either with Jesus or against Jesus.

Hard teaching!

 

LUKE 12:6

“Are not five sparrows sold for two copper coins? And not one of them is forgotten before God.”

God doesn't forget the sparrow, a thing of only 2 copper coins. Certainly, He does not forget me, a man created in His image.

Very certainly, never will He forget me, for I am bought by the precious blood of Christ!

 

LUKE 13:33

"Nevertheless I must journey today, tomorrow, and the day following; for it cannot be that a prophet should perish outside of Jerusalem."

The Gospel of Luke and the Book of Acts, both, are written by Luke.

In the gospel, he portrays Jesus’ life on earth as a perfect life lived. In the book of Acts, he portrays Paul's life as a Christian a faithful life lived.

Both accounts ended with them journeying to Jerusalem, being arrested, and handed over to the Romans. [Their arrests were foretold, yet they gave up their lives willingly.]

Just an observation! For today! I happened to be reading Luke 13 and Acts 21 in other groups I am associated with. So, can't ignore the interesting connection between these two chapters!

 

LUKE 14: 25-33

Counting the Cost of Following Christ.

Every time I read this passage, and many times I recall this passage to mind, I look into my future and have a conversation with my future family.

I dreamt to be somebody by the time I have attained my present age now. [Maybe, I would never fulfill my dream even if I didn't choose to be in the ministry of the word because my dream was bigger than my brain and heart! 😬]

But, when I accepted the call to ministry 8 years ago, I counted (and still am counting) what it will cost my family someday! I just pray that the faithfulness of God would always be my strength!