Search This Blog

Translate

Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Bible Reading Reflection from Acts 22-28

[Originally posted in a WhatsApp group (SSEU) as a daily reading update (reflection) from each chapter of the Bible] 

ACTS 22:16

"And now why are you waiting? Arise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on the name of the Lord.”

Some people don't require anyone to tell them to baptize, they ask for baptism like the Ethiopian eunuch of Acts 8.

Some people need to be told to be baptized. Interestingly, Paul was asked to, that too, as if Paul was procrastinating, hesitating, like many of us.

May the Lord forgive me if my memory is in error, but I do not remember anyone telling me to be baptized. There was no "Reverend" in my village, and I grew up in a residential school, I had no opportunity of presenting myself during a Baptism season [Passion Week].

I took water baptism after my college graduation just before I went to seminary. I walked 25 kilometers on foot just to take water baptism because nobody other than "Reverend" would do the baptism.

I kind of feel satisfied that baptism didn't come easy for me. I walked 25 km. Kind of achievement! πŸ˜‚

If you aren't baptized yet, or if you know a professing Christian who is not, "Why are you waiting, delaying, procrastinating? Arise! Be obedient to the ordinance. Be baptized!"

 

ACTS 23:1-5

Top 3 observations:

v1. Paul lived in all good conscience before God until this day. It's soul-searching and soul-stirring.

v3. In the words of Greek Scholar A.T. Robertson, "More self-control might have served Paul better." Indeed, Paul too wasn't immune to sin. [And there are some Christians who think of themselves sinless😬]

v5 Paul admitted his mistake/sin. In the words of Puritan William Hacket, "What can surpass the grace with which he recovered his self-possession, and the frankness with which he acknowledged his error? If his conduct in yielding to the momentary impulse was not that of Christ Himself under a similar provocation (Joh 18:22-23), certainly the manner in which he atoned for his fault was Christ-like"

Btw, there are some godly Bible teachers who have interpreted v3-5 differently than I do. Even the great Baptist theologian John Gill seems to not find fault with Paul and justify Paul.

 

ACTS 24:25-26

"Now as he reasoned about righteousness, self-control, and the judgment to come, Felix was afraid and answered, ‘Go away for now; when I have a convenient time I will call for you.’ Meanwhile he also hoped that money would be given him by Paul, that he might release him. Therefore he sent for him more often and conversed with him."

Felix definitely had heard the gospel many times before and even in this trial. Paul had definitely confronted him about his adultery when he said "self-control" for Felix lived with somebody's wife.

Felix even realized the coming Judgement and was fearful of God. He was convicted of God's holiness, of his unrighteousness, of the need for repentance, and of the free offer of grace.

Felix chose to dismiss Paul's reasoning instead of repenting. What a tragedy! He went through all this painful hearing. He was already at the gate of heaven but never went in. Like in the story of The Pilgrim's Progress (if you have read, p69) there are some who have managed to reach heaven's gate but descended to the pit of hell!

As a preacher, my prayer is that my hearers will not be like Felix.

 

ACTS 25:11 " . . . I appeal to Caesar."

Some of the teachings in the Bible are paradoxical. When we read 1Peter, Apostle Peter urges us to give up our rights and suffer.

But in the book of Acts, we have seen Paul appealing for his rights often. Even here, as a Roman citizen, he appealed to be judged by the Caesar court than by the compromised governor Festus.

That's why I am of the conclusion that we Christians must have good lawyers, good politicians, good judges, good bureaucrats, good officers, etc. Someday, we may have to fight in the supreme court (not of Caesar) of India!

So, it's my prayer that our church members become competent scholars, thinkers, bureaucrats, etc. not just to help the poor but even to defend our cause! πŸ™

 

ACTS 26:2 "I think myself happy, King Agrippa"

Wow! "Happy!"??

I thought the word "happy" or "happiness" didn't occur in the NT😬

I pulled up my Bible software to investigate further. In NIV, it appears 4 times. NKJV 2 times. NASB only 1 time. And ESV zero.

And the Greek word for this is "makarios" which is often translated as "blessed" as in the Beatitudes. I'd say ESV translators are more accurate and more consistent in rendering this word. So, I think it's safe to say there's no "happiness" or "happy" in the NT.

It matters because word matters. And word matters because theology is developed from it. Just a linguistic observation I have discovered today!

[14:52, 4/13/2021] S.R: The other time the word "happy" occurs in NKJV is Romans 14:22. 

I just checked how Legacy Standard Bible translators dealt with that word. As expected, it's consistent, they render "blessed" instead of "happy". Waiting for the most consistent and most accurate English Bible, LSB to be released!

 

ACTS 27:11

"Nevertheless the centurion was more persuaded by the helmsman and the owner of the ship than by the things spoken by Paul."

He thought it was unwise to listen to the Apostle Paul. The helmsman is the expert. Peter, being the expert in fishing didn't like fishing advice from Jesus, who BTW is the Creator of fish. Even Christians want to listen to the worldly experts than the faithful teachings of the Scriptures concerning anything, yes, even lockdown and Covid19.

Yes, we have no Jesus in bodily form to listen to. Yes, we don't have the Apostle Paul. But we do have the word of God, infallible, inerrant, and sufficient for us to live life in all its fullness. And people, yes, even Christians prefer to listen to scientists, doctors, and PhDs than to search what the Scriptures say.

Be merciful to us, O Lord, even in your judgment!

 

ACTS 28

v2. "showed us an unusual kindness. . . . made us all welcome"

v7. "entertained us courteously"

v10. "honored us in many ways"

v16. 'was permitted to dwell by himself"

v31. "no one forbidding him"

The last chapter of Acts is interestingly sweet. Paul had suffered enough persecutions, trials, and accusations, but this chapter recorded how people were kind to him, and how he was permitted to teach freely. As if to motivate us to go as a missionary!

 Lord, raise up a missionary in our midst. Lord, awake our souls to support missionaries!

 

[05:31, 4/16/2021] S.R: ACTS 29[πŸ˜ΆπŸ™ƒ]

Since there’s no Acts 29, let me exhort . . .

I'd like to believe that we're reading God's word regularly, even if you're not updating, keep meditating, friends!

I'd like to hope that some of us are reading the book of Acts along with me and maybe, even a few chapters ahead or behind, keep reading at your pace.

I'd like to think that those updates were edifying, encouraging, and motivating to you in any way. May they be so!

I'd like to wish you to join me in reading another book, and also to update as often as you can. Don't underestimate your thoughts/insight.

I'd like to thank some of you who have given feedback privately and publicly. And I thank you for reading them without complaint.

It is said that it takes 21 days to form a habit and 90 days to form a lifestyle. If we manage to read through the book of Acts regularly, it means we have spent one additional week, enough to polish our habit! πŸ˜‡

But that saying is not from the Bible, so, I can't guarantee it! Hahaha!