Search This Blog

Translate

Thursday, December 01, 2022

Bible Reading Reflection from Romans 1-6

[Originally posted in a WhatsApp group (SSEU) as a daily reading update (reflection) from each chapter of the Bible] 

ROMANS 1:11

"For I long to see you so that I may impart some spiritual gift to you, that you may be strengthened" [LSB Version 2021, a new translation]

Paul wrote this letter of Romans to the people of Rome whom he had not visited yet. Even before his physical arrival, he wanted to strengthen and establish them in their faith in Jesus Christ.

That's why, when I started blogging, I chose this verse to be the theme verse of my blog. I wanted all my online activities (social media) to be conducted in the light of this verse: "Imparting Spiritual Gift"

Yes, even to those whom I don't know. And as expected, I am glad whenever a stranger sends me an email!

 

ROMANS 2:11

"For there is no partiality with God."

Many people think God is not fair in saving some and passing over some. Oh! They love to talk about Amazon jungles though they have never been there, never prayed for them, and have never given a rupee for their cause. What hypocrites! Acting, like they are more compassionate, fair, and loving than God.

It's enough for me to know that God is not partial, no matter what. It is not the fairness of God that saves me, it is His grace. I agree with Charles Spurgeon, "While others are congratulating themselves, I have to sit humbly at the foot of the cross and marvel that I’m saved at all."

 

ROMANS 3:3-4

"What then? If some did not believe, does their unbelief abolish the faithfulness of God? May it never be! Rather, let God be true and every man a liar . . ."

Leaders are highly motivated people, aren't they? But when nobody is following them, they too, because they are human, lost motivation, and give up. That's why we have many statements, "he was once a . . .," "I once had . . ." All in the past tense.

And we become like all. The greatest force in this universe is to conform to uniformity.

Well, God is not a man. He won't give up. He won't compromise. He won't stop being who He is. He would remain faithful even if the whole world be found a liar. His faithfulness is both to justify and to damn.

He had drowned the world except for Noah's family. He will do it again, just more severe, by fire. If God chooses to kill everyone on Earth today, yes all in cities, villages, jungles, everywhere, and save a few Christians, still that will be the faithfulness of God. And He will when the Terrifying Day of Tribulations comes.

And His faithfulness to save, sanctify, and glorify is the same. As Steven Lawson says, "The perseverance of the saints is [actually] the perseverance of the Saviour in the saints!" PTL!

I love that song, "He will hold me fast"

 

Romans 4:20-22

"Yet, with respect to the promise of God, he did not waver in unbelief but grew strong in faith, giving glory to God, and being fully assured that what God had promised, He was able also to do. Therefore IT WAS ALSO COUNTED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS."

Pertaining to Salvation, it's easier to believe what God has promised to do, that God will save me from the wrath to come, and will glorify me someday. But in day-to-day life, in sanctification, in living life, in Christian walk, waiting for the promise of God to come true is a constant battle, it tends to waver here and there, rather than to stand firm.

Justified by Faith. Live by Faith. Work by Faith. Walk by Faith. Confess by Faith. Come by Faith. Every bit of a Christian Life is a life of Faith!

 

ROMANS 5

Years ago, I was disturbed by a question from this chapter. Here's it—

Q. Since the act of disobedience by Adam made all human being sinners, but the act of obedience by Christ made only believers acceptable to God, therefore, is Adam not more powerful than Jesus in his influence?

One of the most effective ways to study God's word is to ask good questions!

 

ROMANS 6:8

"Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him"

Past- died

Present- believe

Future- shall live

If- does not mean doubting or probability. It is used for asserting a statement [(technically called apodosis), (grammatically 1st class conditional construction)]

So the main point (clause) of this verse is "we shall live"

And the way how we shall live is with Christ.

  ## And the reason is because we already died in Christ, so we will also live with Christ. In other words, if we do not associate with Him in His death, we will not possess life, without Him.

GLEANING: Are we dead in Christ? Are we living His life?

In other words: Are we denying ourselves? Are we exalting Christ in every activity of our life?

Am I living as if I own my life? Am I living as if I am the master of my own destiny and life? Is my life full of Christ?