Search This Blog

Translate

Sunday, December 25, 2022

Bible Reading Reflection from 1 Thessalonians 1-5

[Originally posted in a WhatsApp group (KD) as a daily reading update (reflection) from each chapter of the Bible] 

1 THESSALONIANS 1:5

"For our gospel did not come to you in word only but also in power, and in the Holy Spirit, and in much assurance,"

Without the hearing of the gospel, no one is saved, but the gospel alone does not save anyone, we need the work of the Holy Spirit. Otherwise, almost everyone on earth would have been saved by now, because almost everyone has somehow heard the gospel. Even most of the hearers of our Lord Jesus Christ weren't saved. O, to depend on the Holy Spirit!

When I read the Bible, when I listen to a sermon, if it doesn't convict me of my sins, if it doesn't make me tremble before God and cause me to amend my lifestyle, I am reading the Bible and hearing a sermon 'only in word'. The Thessalonians repented unto God from their sins (1:9).

Lord, make me read Your word in power. Make me listen to sermons in power. I want to be like the Thessalonians and Paul— always transforming into the likeness of You, Amen!

 

1 THESSALONIANS 2:8

“So, affectionately longing for you, we were pleased to impart to you not only the gospel of God, but also our lives, because you had become dear to us.”

Relationship in a ministry is important. But we don't build a skin-deep deep relationship with flattering words (v5) but as parents. GENTLE as a mother (v7), and INSTRUCTIVE as a father (v11). Meanwhile the gospel as the bedrock. It occurs to me as I think about this passage, and look into Christian ministries around us, that a ministry without a gentle relationship is a prison, and a ministry without accurate instruction is a house on the sand.

I have been reading this passage every year of my Christian life, and have listened to a fair share of sermons on this passage over the years, but only today, it occurs to me that: A pastoral ministry is not only modeled after a servant leadership but a parental shepherding!

Am I the first one to come up with this term "parental shepherding"? I think not, but I don't remember hearing or seeing it before. Of course, countless preachers have often said ‘shepherd them as a mother or as a parent’, but "parental shepherding", not heard, ever. 🙂

 

1 THESSALONIANS 3:7

"Therefore, brethren, in all our affliction and distress, we were comforted concerning you by your faith."

Apostle Paul was so distressful about the spiritual condition of Thessalonian Christians to the extent that he could no longer endure (v1). He was forced out of there on his last visit, and the church was heavily persecuted. The news of spiritual growth came to him as great comfort.

 # Do I (as an ordinary Christian) take delight in sharing with my spiritual leaders about my walk with the Lord?

 # Am I (as an under-shepherd) taking delight in knowing the spiritual condition of God's flock?

 

1 THESSALONIANS 4:11

"And to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands, just as we commanded you."

It is far easier to talk about others’ mistakes and very difficult to even admit our own mistakes. Paul wants us to be quiet (not to meddle) with others’ business, but to be busy with our own business.

Oh, to work on personal sanctification first and far more than anybody's sanctification, my Lord, Help, I pray. Even as a pastor, personal sanctification is far more important than corporate sanctification (church as a whole). For he who is not personally sanctified disqualified himself to lead the church! Mercy, Lord, that I be not disqualified!

 

1 THESSALONIANS 5:14

"We urge you, brethren, admonish the unruly, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with everyone."

The family of God has old and wise people, young and energetic ones, many children, and many infants. Sometimes, even the mature acts like a child or an infant. That's why we must bear with one another in patience, not repaying evil for evil, but maintaining the peace which Christ has given us when God has adopted us to be His children in the family of God.

"Patience," that's the word! The greatest antidote for all frustration. To be known for patience, Amen!