Search This Blog

Translate

Friday, December 09, 2022

Bible Reading Reflection from 1 Corinthians 6-10

 [Originally posted in a WhatsApp group (SSEU) as a daily reading update (reflection) from each chapter of the Bible]

𝕀 𝕆𝕀𝕋𝕀𝔸𝕊 𝟞:𝟙𝟡-𝟚𝟘

"Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s."

I remember Jesus, cleansing the temple more than once in His public ministry of around 3 years.

He was furious,

He was serious,

It is obvious

And is glorious

Because He was zealous

for the house of God.

This verse says that we are the temple of God the Holy Spirit. What measure of cleansing do I need?

 

𝕀 𝕆𝕀𝕋𝕀𝔸𝕊 𝟟:𝟚𝟙-𝟚𝟜

"Were you called while a slave? Do not worry about it. But if you are able also to become free, rather do that. For he who was called in the Lord while a slave, is the Lord’s freedman. Likewise he who was called while free, is Christ’s slave. You were bought with a price; do not become slaves of men. Brothers, each one is to remain with God in that condition in which he was called."

Some people got saved when they were old enough, and they mistook their calling into the family of God to be the calling into the mission of God.

They tried to become missionaries or pastors or evangelists. They thought their conversion experience was for the commission. They would even try to go to seminary and so on. I think even William Wilberforce struggled to differentiate that. John Newton helped him to be where he had been. And he remained and became a great politician, reformer!

The demon-possessed guy got saved by Jesus, he wanted to follow Jesus like the rest of the disciples. Jesus forbade him. However, a son of perdition, Judas Iscariot was chosen to be not only an Apostle but even a Finance Secretary.

IAS officer (Tax Collector) Matthew was called to be an Apostle. Another IAS officer, Zacchaeus (chief tax collector) who had a special invitation from Jesus seems to remain friends with all his friends. In fact, he invited all his IRS, IPS, etc, friends to a party and presented Christ to them.

Calling to Salvation doesn't mean Calling to Gospel Ministry. Everyone is called to Salvation, only a few are called to the Gospel Ministry. Even among the few, some disqualified themselves. BTW, good news! Nobody disqualified themselves from salvation!

 

𝕀 𝕆𝕀𝕋𝕀𝔸𝕊 𝟠:𝟙𝟙

"For through your knowledge he who is weak is ruined, the brother for whose sake Christ died."

Who is a weak brother? And who are the strong? Well, I am a weak brother if I hang out with those who are stronger than me. I am a strong brother if I hang out with the weak.

But Christ died both for the weak and the strong. The strong must not despise the weak but must help the weak. The strong must not boast of their strength (freedom) but must come alongside the weak in restricting their use of strength (freedom).

The practical implications of this are huge! I have discovered some, and many more to discover!

 

𝕀 𝕆𝕀𝕋𝕀𝔸𝕊 𝟡:𝟙𝟞

"For if I proclaim the gospel, I have nothing to boast, for I am under compulsion. For woe is me if I do not proclaim the gospel."

As a minister of the Gospel, I have nothing to boast about. Conversions are the works of the Spirit. Counselling is also the wisdom from the illumination of the Spirit.

Gospel ministers are unprofitable slaves just doing their duty. Not for fame or praise or appreciation or recognition, but of course, to please the Master. When the Master pleases, the slaves are happy.

Even in real life, when the boss is in a good mood, the workers are happy. They say that when mama isn't happy, nobody ain't happy!

Negatively, gospel ministry is not easy— full of discouragement within and without. Yet, woe is me if I cease, stop, or quit!

 

𝕀 𝕆𝕀𝕋𝕀𝔸𝕊 𝟙𝟘:𝟚𝟛-𝟚𝟜

"All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things build up. Let no one seek his own good, but that of the other person."

Mature Christians are not measured by their expression of freedom but by their suppression/resistance of freedom for the sake of others.

I want freedom. There's even a song "I want to break free." I want to be independent. I want privacy. I want to do whatever I want.

However, I am called into the body, to come alongside one another, to bear one another's burden. It's also true that people love me when my good deeds influence them. When I am selfish, nobody likes me, nor do I like myself, and my conscience condemns me. When I think only for myself, the other person suffers and reverberates to all the parts of the body.

The world says, "My rights, my wish, my life, my money." Christ says, "Deny self." Love others. Sacrifice your freedom for the good of others!