Search This Blog

Translate

Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Bible Reading Reflection from 1 Peter 1-5

[Originally posted in a WhatsApp group (KD) as a daily reading update (reflection) from each chapter of the Bible] 

1 PETER 1:18-19

"Knowing that you were not redeemed with corruptible things, like silver or gold, from your aimless conduct received by tradition from your fathers, but with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot."

I am unworthy of God's grace. If God strikes me dead tonight, God is still good and merciful! But that Jesus died for me, I am worth more than any other created things of the universe.

Since I have already been bought by the blood of Christ, I will never be cast away, I will never be forsaken, and I will never be given up. Even if I fall, I will never be utterly cast down!

And I will be perfected and will love God perfectly someday!

 

1 PETER 2:20-21

"For what credit is it if, when you are beaten for your faults, you take it patiently? But when you do good and suffer, if you take it patiently, this is commendable before God. For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps:"

In suffering, Christians do not question (in rejection) the love, goodness, power, or the fairness of God. But we ask God for help and strength to go through!

A plain truth to be reminded of again and again!

 

I PETER 3:12

"For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous, And His ears are open to their prayers; But the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.”

This is quoted from Ps.36:15-16. Since I am righteous in Jesus Christ, God's care, favor, and comfort are with me.

When unbelievers are prospering, and when we who believe in His name are struggling even for a living, it's not pleasant to swallow the fact, but the Lord's eyes are upon me. Life and Death, Fortune and Misfortune, Success and Failure, Wealth and Poverty, everything come from God.

The great one is not because of himself, nor the lowly one is because of himself.  God is Sovereign!

 

1 PETER 4:3

For we have spent enough of our past lifetime in doing the will of the Gentiles—when we walked in lewdness, lusts, drunkenness, revelries, drinking parties, and abominable idolatries.

—Enough is Enough—

I grow up hearing parents yelling to children, teachers to students, oldies to young, "Enough is enough!"

Well, Peter is telling us here again, "Enough is enough!" We have had enough of sin in our life. We all are Ph.D. in sin. We are genius in sin. Like a master serial killer, we can get away with it without being confronted or caught.

Peter wants us to give up, not waiting to be confronted, because no matter what "new" sin we may be enticed with, all sins are the same, enough is enough! Indeed, sin is wearisome.

Each time I woke up late, it was because I thought, I still needed a little bit more sleep. Yielding to sleepiness, when I should be up and practicing spiritual discipline, was easier, looked sweeter momentarily, but later on, the day was already spent, the guilt and tension kicked in because of the pending works.

"Enough is enough" is something I have been preaching and must continue to preach to myself!

 

I PETER 5:4

"and when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that does not fade away."

This promise in the context is for the pastors. But every Christian will receive a crown of glory. I think even a last-minute convert will receive a crown of glory because though God rewards us according to our works, He rewards believers exceedingly more abundantly than we can or have ever imagined.

But our attitude and the atmosphere of heaven are not like in the world. In this world, we would like to kiss the trophy, cherish our certificates, and treasure them as souvenirs. In heaven, we will not cherish the crown itself, but the giver. In fact, we will not keep the crown for ourselves even for a minute, we will lay down our crowns at the feet of Jesus and will proclaim Him Lord of all, and give Him all the glory! (Rev. 4:10-12)

What a joy to think about this! 😇