Search This Blog

Translate

Sunday, January 08, 2023

Bible Reading Reflection from James 1-5

 [Originally posted in a WhatsApp group (KD) as a daily reading update (reflection) from each chapter of the Bible]

JAMES 1:2-3

"My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience."

Patience does not come by saying, "Please come, Patience!" It is not something I can download or purchase. Patience is difficult to maintain, and it also comes bitterly. Patience comes through trials, according to this verse. If I want to develop patience, which God commanded us, and which is also the fruit of the Spirit, I must expect through trials. And therefore, I must count all trials to be blessings in disguise, to manifest patience in my life.

For a week, water was leaking from the knob of my cooler. I had been trying to fix it by turning gently, turning slowly, and this and that. I attempted to pull out the knob and try to tighten it. All my efforts were in vain. All kinds of thoughts were buzzing through my mind: to kick, to hammer, to smash it into pieces, etc. Well, that would be wrath, which James is forbidding us in v19. I just stare at it for a while, took cotton, plugged it, and it worked.

I thought, "Oh! I do not have a big (smart) brain, but even my puny brain seems to be bigger than my heart because I almost destroyed it before!"

It's good to have a big brain, but it's better to have a big heart. And a Christian must have a heart bigger than his brain!

Have I cultivated patience over the week? Well, judge for yourself! 😂👍

 

JAMES 2:19

"You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble!"

The demons know God more than I do! Satan had been to heaven oftentimes. Satan was a holy angel before his fall! He saw the mighty works and splendors of the Most High God. Yet he chose to rebel. God cast him out for damnation. God ordained that there will be no salvation for any angel who sinned against God. Salvation is granted only to humans. I've nothing to boast in life except to fear Him who is able to damn and save according to His pleasure, and serve Him in joy!

 

JAMES 3

Tongue: Who does not need to control his tongue!!? Part of my new year resolution is to tell some of my trusted Christian friends to notify me whenever they hear me speak rudely!

It has been my experience that it's easier to make fun of any situation and look witty than to be gentle! But God doesn't call us to be witty but to be gentle!

I am giving you all permission to confront me gently if you see me not speaking gently to anyone!

 

JAMES 4:7-10

I like the way how NKJV translators give a heading for this passage: "Humility Cures Worldliness"

 

JAMES 5:16

"The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much."

I am not old, both in age and my walk with our Lord, but by being in a pastoral ministry, many have asked me to pray for them because of this verse. It's terrifying and humbling to be a pastor. Mark my word, I am not saying "it is an honor." I am saying it's terrifying and humbling.

3 years ago I was traveling on a public bus. They asked me to pray for our safe journey. And actually, we had a terrible journey, but all reached home safely (not a hair was lost)! There was a terrible landslide just before us. Actually, it was and still is humbling when God answered it in a different way never imagined.

This Friday, somebody bought a bike. I was asked to invoke the Lord's blessing. I prayed earnestly. The next day he met an accident! 😬 It's terrifying and humbling to be praying for others. But, perhaps, God delivered him from a major accident, for which I am thankful to God! 👍