Search This Blog

Translate

Wednesday, September 06, 2023

Short Reflection from Acts 21-28

[Originally posted in a WhatsApp group (GP&C) as a daily reading update (reflection) from each chapter of the Bible]

ACTS 21:1-14

—Just an observation—

v4 They told Paul through the Spirit not to go up to Jerusalem

v12 Now when we heard these things, both we and those from that place pleaded with him not to go up to Jerusalem

v14 So when he would not be persuaded, we ceased, saying, “The will of the Lord be done.”

# Paul persuaded many people in the book of Acts, but He himself would not be persuaded! 😂

 

ACTS 22:7-8

"And I fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to me, Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?  So I answered, ‘Who are You, Lord?’ And He said to me, ‘I am Jesus of Nazareth, whom you are persecuting.’"

Obviously, Paul never, never persecuted Christ. Even if he wanted, Christ was already up in heaven.

But persecution against Christians is persecution against Christ. How wonderful it is that Jesus chooses to identify with me! 😇

 

ACTS 23:1

“Then Paul, looking earnestly at the council, said, ‘Men and brethren, I have lived in all good conscience before God until this day.’”

A good conscience before God? Hmm! I agree with Jeremiah even as a Christian, I do not know my heart. I don’t know my motive even for doing those deeds which others have perceived to be good.

I also agree with Paul of 1Cor.4:1-4 that no matter what people, court, or my own conscience say, I am not justified, unless by God.

But, again, nevertheless, a declaration "lived in all good conscience before God until this day" is soul-searching and soul-stirring!

 

ACTS 24:26

"Meanwhile he also hoped that money would be given him by Paul, that he might release him. Therefore he sent for him more often and conversed with him."

How many times had Felix heard the very gospel, its implication, its riches from the very Apostle Paul? But he never repented, rather expecting money from Paul. Could Felix be the most unsuccessful un-convert of Paul?

And Paul obviously continued to press on, only the leaving of Felix stopped their frequent conversations. It's helpful to see in the Scripture that certain areas of my ministry could be unsuccessful or unfruitful, nevertheless, I must go on, because I never know for sure if it will work or not work. After all, I am called to be faithful not to be successful!

 

ACTS 25:26

"have nothing certain to write to my lord concerning him. Therefore I have I brought him out before you, and especially before you, King Agrippa, so that after the examination has taken place I may have something to write."

I pray that my life will be that of a sincere, lawful, and faithful Christian that even if I am falsely accused any day, some will say like this verse! 👍

What a Model, Paul! 😇

 

ACTS 26

I have been reading through the book of Acts every single year of my Christian life. And of course, v29 always stands out to me.

Today, as I re-evaluate the strategy of Paul in defending himself before all these rulers and his accusers, I see that Paul is more interested in the conversion of his hearers than his liberty.

In other words, Paul’s purpose in defending himself was not to escape prison or a death sentence but to help his hearers escape from the wrath of God to come.

So, in reality, the one who really needed to be freed is not Paul but them.

Paul's life and strategies are totally different from many of us who are fighting for justice. We often see in India a protest, a slogan, "We want justice!"

Many of us wouldn't include the gospel in a fight for justice, they would always compromise the gospel. To them, justice trumps religious beliefs. To Paul, the Gospel trumps all! Actually, true justice is met, satisfied, quenched, only in the Gospel.

 

ACTS 27:42-43

"The soldiers planned to kill the prisoners to prevent any of them from swimming away and escaping. But the centurion wanted to spare Paul’s life and kept them from carrying out their plan. He ordered those who could swim to jump overboard first and get to land."

Both the gospel of Luke and the book of Acts are written by Luke.

Both books have identical structures, plots, and narratives. In the gospel of Luke, he portrays Jesus' life on earth as a perfect life lived. In the book of Acts, he portrays Paul's life as a faithful life lived

I love how Luke narrated Apostle Paul determined to go to Jerusalem, was arrested, was delivered to Romans, and here, in this passage, we see one man saved the rest. Had it not been for the presence of Apostle Paul, all would be killed. Jesus journeyed to Jerusalem, was arrested, was delivered to Romans, and saved the world from the wrath of God. One man saved humanity.

Even in our real life in this real world, one man often saves the rest. How wonderful it is if that one man is you or me!

 

ACTS 28:19

"But when the Jews spoke against it, I was compelled to appeal to Caesar, not that I had anything of which to accuse my nation."

Paul's love for the Jews despite their persecutions, accusations, and hatred against him is undiminishing. In Romans, he was willing to even go to hell for their reconciliation!

Am I loving my community (especially if they don't like me)? Indeed, Jesus died for the Jews, who had rejected Him. To hold no grudges against anyone in the service of the gospel!