Search This Blog

Translate

Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Short Reflection from 2 Timothy 1-4

[Originally posted in a WhatsApp group (BRW-M) as a daily reading update (reflection) from each chapter of the Bible]

[23:04, 3/1/2021] S.R:

2 TIMOTHY 1:12

"For this reason I also suffer these things; nevertheless I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day."

There's a wonderful hymn written by El Nathan (alias D.W. Whittle) from this verse. The rich theology of this hymn makes us fall in love with it. It is a song of assurance and confidence.

Tonight, I realise that this verse is written in the context of suffering and shame. Paul made this statement so that Timothy will remember what Christian life looks like, and that he should be courageous, to suffer along with him even to death (verse 8).

 

𝟚 𝕋𝕚𝕞𝕠𝕥𝕙𝕪 𝟚:𝟚𝟜-𝟚𝟞

"And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth, and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, after being captured by him to do his will."

Dealing with an opponent in a gentle manner is hard, very hard. I don't want to even deal with it sometimes!

 

𝟚 𝕋𝕚𝕞𝕠𝕥𝕙𝕪 𝟛:𝟜-𝟝

"treacherous, reckless, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, holding to a form of godliness, although they have denied its power; Avoid such men as these."

It has been foretold. Not to be surprised. But to endure faithfully!

 

𝟚 𝕋𝕚𝕞𝕠𝕥𝕙𝕪 𝟜:𝟙𝟞

"At my first defense no one supported me, but all deserted me; may it not be counted against them."

If there was none with Paul, let us not be surprised when people abandon this and that!