Search This Blog

Translate

Monday, August 13, 2018

Love expressed through Gifts

In this fallen world, there are times when we feel very disappointed because we are unable to understand people, especially dearly loved ones. We wish they understand us – how much we care for them, how much we love them or how much we value them – and our wishes hardly fulfilled. Sometimes we fear that people will misunderstand us, feel that we are insensitive and we wish that they would understand our in-depth nature or feelings. Why? It is because we cannot tell someone what reality really is! We find ourselves hapless to express it. We just ran out of words.

Here is one way, which I find very helpful in our relationship. I have learned over the years that when words fail to express what we want to express, presenting a Gift usually does the job. Once, I saw a hoarding on a gift shop (by the name Archies), "Gifts are much better than words to convey feelings." I thought to myself, “this is something worth pondering.” Presents or Gifts are very appropriate in many situations where our voice is unheard because some people are fed up with advice and lectures.
There is a wisdom in the Scripture (Prov. 21:14) that says, "A gift in secret pacifies anger." That is real, wonderfully and beautifully true. I have tried many times and found it to be true all the times. In fact, that was the first Scripture I practiced first in my life. It was during my high school days. Like everyone, I had few classmates who were bullies, so annoying and irritating. One day, I decided to practice what my Bible says. I gave him a sweet, and amazingly, he never dared to bully me again. I also remember an incident while I was doing my graduation in Stephen Hall, Shillong. A big, tough and rough guy almost kick me because I was smarter and true to my argument. One fine but hungry afternoon, I offered to treat him in a restaurant, he got confused, embarrassed and at the same time felt so honored, since then we have been good friends.
We also do find the amazing story in the Bible – the story of David, how Abigail pacified his anger towards Nabal, by bringing those packages of foodstuffs (1Samuel 25). If you have enemies, if you have tempered friends or any critical people, may I suggest that you try it with love, truth, and faith. Perhaps, it may be the only convincing way for them to realize that you love, care and value them. I agree that Gifts, many times come to rescue when words fail to express. Have we not heard the famous line "action speaks louder than sound?"
By the way, whenever you receive something, I do not mean to imply that they give you because you are bad, but it would be very good to ponder what the deeper meaning could be. Let us be thinking people, not just quick to receive anything. At the same time, let us be people who love giving gifts and presents to all sorts of people.