Search This Blog

Translate

Friday, October 05, 2018

Why I blog "With the Word" series

In my school days, I loved reading Our Daily Bread (popularly known as ODB) produced by Radio Bible Class (RBC) ministries. It was a devotional calendar-style booklet arranged for the whole year. Year after year, I would save money or ask my parents to buy for me this precious devotional book. Each morning before I step out of my bed I would be reading and would be praying after it.
I was so devoted to reading this book that one of my friends used to make fun of me saying, “ODB to him is like a medicine to a patient of cysticercosis.” (We grew up with that disease around us. Doctors would prescribe a tablet and syrup instructing us sternly to ingest before we step out of bed.) There were times I would like to get into the washroom, but I would not unless I completed the daily reading schedule of ODB. I was so passionate about reading it because it blessed my soul very much. I would even promote it by giving as Birthday gifts or Christmas presents to others.

After years of reading it, one day a Christian leader told me to graduate myself from reading ODB and to start studying Bible myself. And so, ODB has become a history for me. The impact ODB had on me was so great that one day I decided to write a devotional piece of my own. This is one of them. I wrote it before my seminary days.
CONSIDER YOUR WAYS!
Years ago, my brother and I got an opportunity to repair the punctured tire of a motorbike. We were unable to unscrew it. We questioned our strength and kept on pressing with all our might but in vain. A passer-by who happened to be a mechanic, seeing our plight came to help us. He took up the lever and tightened it much to our surprise. Then, he told us to unscrew it. We never knew that to unscrew a tight screw it has to be tightened first, then to let it loose.
Sometimes, in our journey of life, we come across where we cannot move further. It’s not a time to keep on pursuing. It’s a time to stop and consider our ways whether we’re heading in the right direction or not, and how far we’ve gone. The Bible says in Lamentations 3:40 “Let us search out and examine our ways, And turn back to the LORD. It is a time to turn back and tighten our position to unleash our potential to the fullest.
Now, you can surmise why I blog “With the Word: A Devotional Reflection of Scripture” series every Friday. I write for three reasons: Firstly, it drives me to engage the word of God practically. Secondly, I have learned that Devotionals are effective for readers, and loved by Christians around the world. Thirdly, if the gigantic pastor like Spurgeon and MacArthur are in the favor of producing Devotional books, well, there should be.
I do not dare to mention such name, for me to start writing a devotional piece and put up on the blog for anyone to read it. By far, theirs are much superior, and I encourage you to read them (Morning and Evening, by Spurgeon; Drawing Near, by John MacArthur). The distinctive of With the Word (WTW) includes Exposition, Illustration, Application, Exhortation, and Summarization. Most of them are less than 300 words.