Search This Blog

Translate

Thursday, August 31, 2023

Short Reflection from Acts 1-10

 [Originally posted in a WhatsApp group (GP&C) as a daily reading update (reflection) from each chapter of the Bible]

ACTS 1:4

"And being assembled together with them, He COMMANDED them not to depart from Jerusalem, but TO WAIT for the Promise of the Father, ‘which,’ He said, ‘you have heard from Me’"

So easy and natural to do anything without much prayer in the name of wisdom. This verse reminds us of the need of waiting on God, for His Holy Spirit to empower the ministers of God for God's work. While we are all already commanded to go and preach the gospel and do various kinds of ministry, without the effective presence of the Holy Spirit ministry is in vain.

Every time, before I go out to preach or teach, I have made a habit to kneel down and pray, "Lord, if Your Holy Spirit does not go with me, I go in vain, in sin, and to destroy! Spirit of God, I yield to You."

 

ACTS 2

Thinking through Peter's Sermon. Let me mention only 3 observations among many:

First, this is a condensed summary of Peter’s long sermon (v40)

Second, he confronted them: the mockers (13, 15); the lawless criminal (23), and the religious Jews. [Indeed, it's difficult to preach to such people!]

Third, it's the crowd who wanted to repent, before Peter asked them (v37).

Lesson observed: Strong preaching produces soft hearts.

 

ACTS 3:12

"So when Peter saw it, he responded to the people: ‘Men of Israel, why do you marvel at this? Or why look so intently at us, as though by our OWN POWER OR GODLINESS we had made this man walk?’"

I love the way Peter responded here. He not only denied any power in himself. He even denied any pretense of godliness in himself.

Spirit-filled Christians are humble, they aren't hypocrites. Paul said of himself, the greatest sinner! Another level!

Thanks be to God for calling me, a worthless earthen vessel to His ministry for the proclamation of His glorious Gospel!

 

𝔸𝕔π•₯𝕀 𝟜:𝟑

"if we are on trial today for a benefit done to a sick man, as to how this man has been made well"

If the good men are on trial and the wicked are running loose, society has to collapse. Apostle Peter was on trial for doing a good thing. They thought it was wicked.

The world continues to put godly men on trial. Those with Biblical Conviction are criticized, mocked, and put on trial by many.

Peter went through it. It's the only way.

 

ACTS 5:29

". . .we ought to obey God rather than men"

If I am lazy to study the Scripture, I do not know even what and how to obey God.

If I do not live a holy life, even if I know what and how to obey God, I do not have the courage to obey.

And if I continue in those ways, I rationalize how I've come to be. And perhaps will defend my position. And go on to tell others to do the same. And even tell the others to "disobey" God.

I think this is how sin multiplies! Lord, would You please raise up courageous men! Amen!

 

ACTS 6

What stands out for me in this chapter has always been v4.

And what stands out for me in verse 4 is the word "continually"

This adverb "continually" is for both prayer and the ministry of the word.

And for me: Hmmmn! I have received a lot of comments for my devotion to the word, but haven't received much on my prayer life. Not that I want or care about people's comments, but I also know that great men of God are not only deep in their theology but also deep in prayer!

[However, BTW, exegetically, devotion to the ministry of the word is the primary theme!]

 

𝔸𝕔π•₯𝕀 𝟟:𝟑

"The patriarchs became jealous of Joseph and sold him into Egypt. Yet God was with him"

I am nobody but some people got jealous of me. And to my shame, I had been jealous of some other people too.

One thing is clear: let him who is jealous after commit his soul to God. They were jealous of Joseph but God was with him not only to protect but to prosper!

 

ACTS 8:35

"Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning at this Scripture, preached Jesus to him."

One can preach a sermon. Or he can preach any good news. Or he can preach the gospel. Why did Luke say that Philip preached Jesus?

Jesus is the gospel. The person Jesus is the good news. Jesus is the Salvation. Christianity is all about Jesus. Even my life is Jesus (Gal.2:20)

I am not saying my life is "for" Jesus. I am saying my life is Jesus. It is Jesus that lives in me! That's what Paul says.

Uh...oh! What about all the imperfect things I have committed? Well, let's leave that question to consider when we reach that chapter!

Learning Christ, living Christ, and preaching Christ because Jesus is all in all!

🎼🎼 You are my all in all! 🎼🎼

 

ACTS 9:31

"Then the churches throughout all Judea, Galilee, and Samaria had peace and were edified. And walking in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit, they were multiplied."

Maybe we should enrich our vocabulary: to greet and to bid goodbyes; to pray and to pronounce the benediction; to hope and to wish for others; to enquire and to bless others.

Why not include Acts 9:31? May you grow in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit!

Are you growing in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit?

Long time no news! I hope you are growing in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit!

Something like that! πŸ‘

 

𝔸𝕔π•₯𝕀 πŸ™πŸ˜:𝟜𝟚

"And He ordered us to preach to the people, and solemnly to testify that this is the One who has been appointed by God as Judge of the living and the dead."

Peter's powerful preaching was not that God loves you and has a wonderful plan for you. Rather, it's the preaching of Judgment that Jesus will preside over the dead and the living!