Search This Blog

Translate

Friday, July 16, 2021

Heavenly Citizens

"For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ"

– Philippians 3:20

Exposition:

        It is natural for us to be more comfortable at home and to be longing for home when we are in a distant land. I still remember even the food I ate when I was growing up and would like to have them again. Home is where we belong. Apostle Paul in this verse reminds Christians that this present earth is not our home. Those who set their minds on earthly things are not the citizens of heaven, they are the enemies of Christ, the King of Heaven.

        The Triune God created this world, continues to preserve it, but one day it will pass away (Rev.21:1). Our Lord Jesus came from heaven into our world to deliver us from the wrath to come, and He ascended to heaven to prepare for us a place to live with Him. Heaven is a place wherein God dwells. We are not only created by God for Him, but we are also bought by the blood of Jesus Christ again; twice we belong to God, and we must be where we belong.

        Every Christian is a citizen of heaven. A citizen of heaven is a heavenly minded person. A heavenly minded person is one who looks forward to being conformed to the likeness of Christ. Apostle John says that whoever has this hope purifies himself, which means that he endeavours to live a life of holiness and righteousness. A worldly person lives and works for money, praise, and pleasure; and would do anything to obtain them. A Christian, even though he might need them, would choose to obtain them in righteousness, because he ultimately lives and works for the glory of God.

Personal Reflection:

·       Do I cultivate personal holiness in anticipation of the return of my Saviour?

·       Do I always rejoice in Him who had justified me and sanctifies me now that He will surely glorify me at His appearing?

Personal Commitment:

·       I must live for the cause of Christ and be delighted even in all the trials of life because God is my dwelling place.

Prayer:

Lord Jesus, King of my life, help me to delight in You more than in anything of this world, Amen!