Search This Blog

Translate

Monday, August 01, 2022

Bible Reading Reflection from Psalms 84-89

 [Originally posted in a WhatsApp group (MPG) as a reading update (reflection) from one chapter of the Bible a day]

β„™π•Šπ”Έπ•ƒπ•„ 𝟠𝟜:πŸ™πŸ˜

"For better is a day in Your courts than a thousand elsewhere.

I would choose to stand at the threshold of the house of my God

Than dwell in the tents of wickedness."

There are some scripture portions I have committed to memory just because I happened to hear such and such people telling it to be their favorite Bible verse.

Well, in SSEU days, I heard that this was one of the favorite verses of @______ if she forgets now, most probably she was lying then! πŸ˜†πŸ˜‚

Well, Spurgeon called this Psalm ‘The Pearl of Psalms.’ I notice the repeated word "Blessed" (4,5,12), which serves as the division of this Psalm.

Oh! The joy and satisfaction of worshipping and finding rest in God's House. Unfortunately, many people in our times are thanking Coronavirus for social distancing.

Forget about entering the house of God. Forget about sleeping or sitting comfortably. Even to stand by the door is better than anywhere, definitely better than Mumbai or Los Angeles!

He even was envious of the sparrows that they got to live in the temple. I remember Jesus telling the disciples that God's care for us is greater than the sparrows!

 

β„™π•Šπ”Έπ•ƒπ•„ 𝟠𝟝:𝟟-𝟠

"Show us, O Yahweh, Your lovingkindness,

And give us Your salvation.

Let me hear what the God, Yahweh, will speak;

For He will speak peace to His people, to His holy ones;

But let them not turn back to folly."

Another beautiful lament Psalm of trust. Moving from Past tense to present tense to future tense. From plural us to individual me.

Indeed, what's everything without the lovingkindness of God? What do we want to hear from an angry God, if not the word of peace!

Many seek love from here and there. Many want to hear about this and that. Yet God has demonstrated His love for us on the cross. There I find love and peace to live on. And there must I drink for my strength every day!

 

β„™π•Šπ”Έπ•ƒπ•„ 𝟠𝟞:𝟚, πŸ™πŸ™

"Keep my soul, 𝕗𝕠𝕣 𝕀 π•’π•ž 𝕒 𝕙𝕠𝕝π•ͺ π• π•Ÿπ•–;

O You my God, save Your slave who trusts in You."

This is the only Davidic Psalm in Book III. It's a Psalm of Lament, but interestingly, it's not lamenting about his sins, rather he declares that he is a holy one! Wow! I think of Apostle Paul, who also said that his conscience doesn't convict him of any sins to condemn himself! What a life to imitate!

How does one achieve this? Well, I see other features of David's life. He lives in fear of God. It's the fear of God that makes us holy! So, in v11,

"Teach me Your way, O Yahweh;

I will walk in Your truth;

Unite my heart π•₯𝕠 𝕗𝕖𝕒𝕣 𝕐𝕠𝕦𝕣 π•Ÿπ•’π•žπ•–."

David is praying to increase the fear of God in him. I remember Paul Washer said, "Listen to me. Listen to me" (in his high-pitched voice), "Pray, ‘Increase in me to fear You,’ that's it!" It’s my prayer too, that Yahweh will increase in me to fear Him!

 

β„™π•Šπ”Έπ•ƒπ•„ 𝟠𝟟:𝟝

"But of Zion it shall be said, “This one and that one were born in her”;

And the Most High Himself will establish her."

What a privilege those born of Zion have! v3 goes on to say that Zion is the city of God, chosen by God, favored by God above all cities on earth.

I don't know what that privilege looks like. [If I were an American, I would have lots of privileges which I as an Indian don't have.] But it must be great!

As I reflect upon how God chose a city to be His, I also remember how He chose me to be His child. 1John 3:1 called us the children of God. And one day, a child of God will surely dwell in the city of God having all the privileges of the city and of the son!

 

β„™π•Šπ”Έπ•ƒπ•„ 𝟠𝟠:πŸ™

"O Yahweh, the God of my salvation, I have cried out by day and throughout the night before You."

Students of Psalms have rightly pointed out that this is an unusual Psalm because lament psalm usually ends with a note of confidence (expressing trust or calling to trust, or praising Yahweh), but Ps. 88 ends with a kind of a complaint against God.

However, v1 reveals that it is a prayer of someone who [continually] trusts God in times of unending misery. New day, new week, new month didn't bring him a different situation. God seemed to set against him. Yet he kept trusting God and kept praying for God's lovingkindness (v11)!

Do we worship God for His blessing? If God slays us, will we still worship Him? Job said He will, and did worship God throughout his prosperity, suffering, and vindication! And this psalmist too. And so will I! Help me, God!

 

β„™π•Šπ”Έπ•ƒπ•„ 𝟠𝟑:πŸ™

"I will sing of the lovingkindnesses of Yahweh forever;

From generation to generation I will make known Your faithfulness with my mouth."

The last psalm and the 2nd longest psalm of Book III. How fitting it is!

God's promise to David is aborted. But how could God do that? He is not a man to be unfaithful to His covenant even if the whole world be found unfaithful. The Psalmist laments this situation, but with confidence in God.

He begins and ends by praising God. And this praise is from such a situation where God seems to have abandoned His people. Indeed, if this psalmist can worship God in confidence in such a situation, we can worship God in all situations, because God's lovingkindness endures.

I am glad that I was taught a song taken out from this psalm, especially verse 1 when I was 8 or 9 years old, and I still remember it. It's a wonderful hymn of praise. I also remember "Blessed be the name of the Lord" which is taken out from Job's confession in times of his adversity. Songs of praise from adversities are powerful. Also, the hymn "It is well with my soul" which Spafford wrote following a family tragedy!

Faith shines brightest and most beautiful in adversity, it looks so!