Search This Blog

Translate

Saturday, August 13, 2022

Bible Reading Reflection Psalms 127-138

[Originally posted in a WhatsApp group (LRAU), a daily reading update (reflection) from each chapter of the Bible]

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟙𝟚𝟟:𝟙-𝟚

"Unless the LORD builds the house,

They labor in vain who build it;

Unless the LORD guards the city,

The watchman keeps awake in vain.

It is vain for you to rise up early,

To retire late,

To eat the bread of painful labors;

For He gives to His beloved even in his sleep."

This is one of the most well-known Bible passages as I grew up. And indeed, it should be.

It's God who raises up people. It's God who pulls down. Promotion, Demotion, Firing, Transfer, Suspense, Salary delay, whatever, everything is under God's supervision. God is our great Supervisor. Call Him up to report, to inquire, to whatever necessary!

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟙𝟚𝟠:𝟜

"Behold, for thus shall the man be blessed

Who fears the LORD."

There's written in the Scriptures how God will bless those who walk with Him v1-3.

The one who fears God is then one who walks with Him, v1, v4. That person is the one whose delight is found in God.

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟙𝟚𝟡:𝟙-𝟚

"Many times they have persecuted me from my youth up,"

Let Israel now say,

‘Many times they have persecuted me from my youth up;

Yet they have not prevailed against me.’"

We often hear “forgive and forget.” Uh..oh. Nah.

The Psalmist encourages us to remember the past persecution. Of course, not to take revenge, but to recall the power of God.

Troubles and Sufferings are fertile ground to grow and reap God's grace. May it be so for us too!                                                                 

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟙𝟛𝟘:𝟛-𝟜

"If You, LORD, should mark iniquities,

O Lord, who could stand?

But there is forgiveness with You,

That You may be feared."

Who does not like this Psalm? That's the reason why God forgives—to fear Him.

People usually don't like unforgiving strict people. They respect, honor and love forgiving and gracious people!

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟙𝟛𝟙:𝟙

"O LORD, my heart is not proud, nor my eyes haughty;

Nor do I involve myself in great matters,

Or in things too difficult for me."

This is one of my favorite verses in the Bible, not because this is me, nor because this is what defines me, nay, not even am I progressively growing toward it, I am afraid.

But because I want to be like this always. It's tough, painful, and won't be that pleasant, but such life is what everyone will like when we look back over a lived life!

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟙𝟛𝟚:𝟠-𝟡

"Arise, O LORD, to Your resting place,

You and the ark of Your strength.

Let Your priests be clothed with righteousness,

And let Your godly ones sing for joy."

Sometimes, we need godly people to pray like this. May people look at your faithfulness to motivate them to be more holy!

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟙𝟛𝟛:𝟙

"Behold, how good and how pleasant it is

For brothers to dwell together in unity!"

There are some psalms that most Christians just remember at least part of it. This, I am sure, is one of them. It talks about the beauty of unity: getting along with one another!

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟙𝟛𝟜:𝟙-𝟛

"Behold, bless the LORD, all servants of the LORD,

Who serve by night in the house of the LORD!

Lift up your hands to the sanctuary

And bless the LORD.

May the LORD bless you from Zion,

He who made heaven and earth."

This psalm calls us to bless God and ends with invoking God to bless us.

We bless God by speaking well of God. Instead of complaining, we do well to count God's blessings and be grateful to God, and declare His faithfulness.

If we bless God, God shall bless us more!

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟙𝟛𝟝:𝟝-𝟞

"For I know that the LORD is great

And that our Lord is above all gods.

Whatever the LORD pleases, He does,

In heaven and in earth, in the seas and in all deeps."

What makes you say something or someone is great? In fact, some people have casually said to me that I am great. And I have said the same to some people casually.

I observed when you have the ability to do whatever you want in a good way, people will just say, you are great.

Now, God is great, and He does whatever He pleases, and whatever he does is good, best, and right!

Only people like Christopher Hitchens will write a book “God is not great,” because they are worldly-wise, but actually, eternally foolish!

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟙𝟛𝟞:𝟙

"Give thanks to the LORD, for He is good,

For His lovingkindness is everlasting."

All the 26 verses of this Psalm have this refrain "For His Lovingkindness is everlasting"

The psalmist wants to instill the Lovingkindness of God into the mind of the people! And this (Lovingkindness) is forever!

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟙𝟛𝟟:𝟜

"How can we sing the LORD'S song

In a foreign land?"

Oh! How they loved and missed the worship of God!

My village church has over 600 church attendants, and when I go to my church in Goa, Punjab, or in Delhi with only a few people and singing contemporary songs, oh, how I miss the songs I have grown up singing in big churches!

 

𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕞 𝟙𝟛𝟠:𝟞

"For though the LORD is exalted,

Yet He regards the lowly,

But the haughty He knows from afar."

If the one in the highest regards the lowly, who are we to look down on anybody? That's why God hates the haughty!