Search This Blog

Translate

Wednesday, August 03, 2022

Bible Reading Reflection from Psalms 90-93

[Originally posted in a WhatsApp group (PTS) as a reading update (reflection) from one chapter of the Bible a day] 

β„™π•Šπ”Έπ•ƒπ•„ 𝟑𝟘:πŸ™πŸœ

"O satisfy us in the morning with Your lovingkindness,

That we may sing for joy and be glad all our days."

Who does not love this Psalm? I have heard a lot of people quoting v12, and I'm sure most people remember this Psalm by that verse. However, v14 stands out to me tonight!

First, this is the oldest Psalm ever written. It's by Moses. Moses contrasted the frailty of man's life to the eternal existence of God. Even if I could live a thousand years, I will never have enough wisdom to live securely than to dwell in the everlasting God. He remains secure.

And I would never live even 200 years, perhaps 70, and therefore, the wisest thing for me is to seek wisdom from God to live this short life in the most meaningful way. And the most meaningful life for me is, like the Psalmist, to enjoy God all the days of my life. I love the way how he prayed, "Satisfy us" It was a prayer, a request to God, not a commandment Moses was giving to his congregation. Oh! How man needs to find satisfaction in God!

My thirst, my hunger, like David is after God's mercy. That doesn't mean I have no inclination to sin. And btw, whenever we sinned, I am sure it was sin we thirsted after and committed it to be quenched.

O satisfy my being with Your mercy, O Yahweh!

 

β„™π•Šπ”Έπ•ƒπ•„ πŸ‘πŸ™:πŸ™-𝟚

 “He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High

Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.

I will say to Yahweh, ‘My refuge and my fortress,

My God, in whom I trust!’”

This Psalm is loved even by Satan. He misapplied v11-12 in tempting Jesus to jump down.

The theme of this psalm is similar to Ps. 90 — God is a dwelling place. And the Jewish Rabbis attributed this Psalm also to Moses.

If God is my dwelling place, and I am under His protection, then surely v7 follows: a thousand, ten thousand may fall around me, but I shall be secured. And God has affirmed that truth in v15-16.

Is it just a poetic style that this Psalm ended with the word "My Salvation" in the last line of the last verse? No. Even the Hebrew Bible ended like that!

In this world, God has not promised us peace and prosperity, but rather a persecution and hatred from worldly forces. But God has promised us eternal life, and deliverance from the wrath to come. Ten thousand will fall, we shall not.

Even in this present world, God has shown us His protection; we are still being preserved by His power. Or else, left to ourselves, we would have lost our salvation a long time ago, and would have clenched our fists against God and have cursed Him. But God preserves our faith in Him.

Indeed, I cannot even jump out from the hands of Jesus who holds me fast. Nor Satan [who is much more powerful than me] can snatch me away from the love of God.

Even in my personal life, in a personal situation, I have experienced the physical protection of God. Others may interpret it differently in their life, but in "my" life, and in "my" walk with God, staying safe and sound without panic when ten thousand (actually millions) are dying of coronavirus in Delhi and the world, makes me love this Psalm.

There is security, safety, and satisfaction in dwelling in God.

 

β„™π•Šπ”Έπ•ƒπ•„ 𝟑𝟚:𝟜

"For You, O Yahweh, have made me glad by what You have done,

I will sing for joy at the works of Your hands."

This Psalm is so appropriate and wonderful to sing on the Sabbath day, that some Jews claimed that Adam sang this Psalm on the 7th day of the creation week! Well, I disagree, it's impossible! Sorry, Jews!

C. Wordsworth rightly observed that Yahweh is mentioned 7 times in this Psalm, and so, it's all the more fitting to be sung on the Sabbath day.

I think even Hillsong's Darlene Zschech composed "My Jesus My Savior" from this Psalm, particularly v4. What a wonderful Psalm this is!

The psalmist praises God for His wondrous work. It's a wondrous work of Creation, Providence, Justice, and Salvation. All in the manner of His lovingkindness and His faithfulness. Yes, I praise God for the same reason.

v6 says that a senseless man and a fool do not understand the works of God. I'd be this person when I don't thank God, even when I see the wicked springing up like the grass.

Because God has a greater plan for those who dwell in Him — to flourish like a palm tree, like cedars of Lebanon, which are far more beautiful than grass, of course!

Thus v4, Personalizing, "me" "I" the psalmist sings unto God.

 

β„™π•Šπ”Έπ•ƒπ•„ πŸ‘πŸ›:𝟜-𝟝

"The rivers have lifted up, O Yahweh,

The rivers have lifted up their voice,

The rivers lift up their pounding waves.

More than the voices of many waters,

Than the mighty breakers of the sea,

Yahweh on high is mighty."

One of the shortest 2 Psalms in Book IV, and it's about the unparalleled majesty of God. And surely, we can quickly say "Amen" when it's about God's power!

Notice the repetition, "the rivers have lifted up" 3 times. The real challenge looming. Who does not fear the raging waves, tempest, and tsunamis? We even used it as a metaphor to express our calamity in life.

God once destroyed the world, not by anything but by a flood. Rivers lifting up is the imagery of chaos, injustices, wickedness, blasphemies, rebellions, going on.

Well, God is not in panic. He is sitting peacefully on His throne (v2). He is mightier than Tsunami or any overflowed river!

Yes, the rivers have lifted up. The noises of the raging waves are deafening! There will be "Peace! Be still" for those who are in the boat of Christ!