Search This Blog

Translate

Sunday, February 26, 2023

Short Reflection from Joshua 1-10

[Originally posted in a WhatsApp group (PG) as a daily reading update (reflection) from each chapter of the Bible]

[2:14 pm, 01/01/2022] S.R:

𝕁𝕠𝕤𝕙𝕦𝕒𝟙:𝟙𝟠

"Anyone who rebels against your command and does not obey your words in all that you command him, shall be put to death; only be strong and courageous."

The first chapter of the historical section of the Hebrew Bible emphasizes the value of courage. The last verse repeated that command again. Winston Churchill is right when he said, "Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality that guarantees all the others."

As I grow older, I want to be more courageous this year! And I have learned from the Scriptures and by experience that it takes a strong conviction and a strong character to be courageous for God!

 

𝕁𝕠𝕤𝕙𝕦𝕒 𝟚:𝟚𝟜

"They said to Joshua, 'Surely the LORD has given all the land into our hands; moreover, all the inhabitants of the land have melted away before us.'"

Not only was Joshua told to be courageous, but was reported that their enemies have lost their courage!

It's amazing how God has set the stage for Joshua to conquer. I am sure when God requires us to be courageous, He has frightened our opposition. We either conquer them or let them regain their courage and beat us! 😬

 

𝕁𝕠𝕤𝕙𝕦𝕒 𝟛:𝟙

"Then Joshua rose early in the morning; and he and all the sons of Israel set out from Shittim and came to the Jordan, and they lodged there before they crossed."

There seems to be no better portrayal for alertness, readiness, discipline, and excitement than waking up early in the morning!

I am not a morning person, not even a morning aspiring person, but a morning admiring person. I hardly get up early, though several times I try to. I love those who rise early!

As the English poet, John Milton said, "Morning shows the day," Joshua and his men had a great day!

 

𝕁𝕠𝕤𝕙𝕦𝕒 𝟜:𝟚𝟜

"that all the peoples of the earth may know that the hand of the LORD is mighty, so that you may fear the LORD your God forever."

The purpose of a memorial stone. It points to the awesomeness of God. It was made to fear God. To instill the fear of God into the coming generations.

As a leader, I have that same responsibility to instill the fear of God in people. The fear that develops because of the goodness and awesomeness of God!

 

𝕁𝕠𝕤𝕙𝕦𝕒 𝟝:𝟡

"Then the LORD said to Joshua, ‘Today I have rolled away the reproach of Egypt from you.’ So the name of that place is called Gilgal to this day."

Hmm! I have got to improve my vocabulary. I have to look back and see how many Gilgals I should have listed down in my life so far! The Lord is good!

 

𝕁𝕠𝕤𝕙𝕦𝕒 𝟞:𝟙

"Now Jericho was tightly shut because of the sons of Israel; no one went out and no one came in."

Indeed, a man's heart is like a Jericho, especially in this generation. There's no way to transform a man than to let God transform him.

Like Joshua and his men, who did nothing strategic, but seemingly foolish actions of marching around proclaiming what God commanded made Jericho's wall fall down.

Oh! May I be found faithful proclaiming His words, even if it looks like a fool to other 'great' warriors!

 

𝕁𝕠𝕤𝕙𝕦𝕒 𝟟:𝟙𝟡

"Then Joshua said to Achan, 'My son, I implore you, 𝕘𝕚𝕧𝕖 𝕘𝕝𝕠𝕣𝕪 𝕥𝕠 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕃𝕆𝔻, the God of Israel, and give praise to Him; and tell me now what you have done. Do not hide it from me.'"

In effect, Joshua was telling, "tell the truth,” thus, implying telling the truth is one way we glorify God.

If he meant, "confess/admit before God" it implies the same thing, admitting/confession is always the truth.

Achan was given a chance to glorify God while he would be damned! And he did it, but too late. Philippians 2 reminds us that in the end, everyone will bow and confess Jesus is Lord, while some confessing will be damned eternally! No matter what, God shall be glorified by all!

 

𝕁𝕠𝕤𝕙𝕦𝕒 𝟠:𝟙

"Now the LORD said to Joshua, 'Do not fear or be dismayed. Take all the people of war with you and arise, go up to Ai; see, I have given into your hand the king of Ai, his people, his city, and his land.'"

Had Joshua been a brave man, there wouldn't be this many commandments to him to be brave!

Another guy in the New Testament, who was not brave is Timothy! Timothy was warned by Apostle Paul.

I don't want to be like them, but I haven't even set my foot on their battlefield yet.

 

𝕁𝕠𝕤𝕙𝕦𝕒 𝟡:𝟙𝟜

"So the men of Israel took some of their provisions, and did not ask for the counsel of the LORD."

What a tragedy!

In some ways, I find it relevant to my walk. Any day I decide to go out of my room without a prayer, trouble is not far!

 

𝕁𝕠𝕤𝕙𝕦𝕒 𝟙𝟘:𝟙𝟛

"So the sun stood still, and the moon stopped, Until the nation avenged themselves of their enemies. Is it not written in the book of Jashar? And the sun stopped in the middle of the sky and did not hasten to go down for about a whole day."

I think it's good to recall the mighty acts of God like this one and pray in trying circumstances for God's intervention!